Self introduction letter to Professor Brad

 Dear Professor Brad,


My name is Lim Yu Han, currently a Year 1 student in SIT studying Mechanical Engineering and a student in your critical thinking and communicating class. I am writing this email to you to introduce myself so you can get to know me better. 


Ever since I was a little boy, I always had a deep fascination and strong passion for anything automobiles, hence that was the driving force which led me towards the path of studying engineering. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in mechanical engineering which was the reason I chose the course because it offered students a chance to work with automobiles, thus it led me to continue to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering.


A problem I face with communication is my lack of confidence to express my thoughts properly. Due to a lack of confidence, strong grammar and vocabulary, I usually find myself stammering and using the wrong choice of words when trying to convey my thoughts to someone and possibly causing confusion. The lack of confidence and language proficiency also leads me to misunderstand people’s intentions a lot of times.


Since communication is a 2-way exchange, I feel that my strength in communication is that I can be a very good listener and also provide pretty good analogies and advice, especially to my friends when they hit roadblocks in their lives despite not really encountering the issue myself. Thus i can always see my friends coming back to me for advice on issues they face.


The first goal I have set for myself in this module is to be able to brush up on my English language proficiency. I have always struggled speaking English well as I have been speaking Mandarin at home. The next goal I have in for this module is to understand how to communicate better and being able to express my ideas into words more efficiently and with a stronger engagement factor. 


Lastly, something that make me special is probably my optimism towards life as i like to look at the silver lining of every cloud. Looking forward to more lessons with you Professor Brad.



Yours Sincerely,

Lim Yu Han

Edited 22 September 2022


Blogs read:

Benedict

Bin Hong

Comments

  1. Hi Yu Han,

    It is interesting to know how you develop a liking for mechanical engineering. Each paragraph was short and concise. There is a grammar mistake in the sentence “Thus i can always see my friends coming back to me for advice on issues they face.”. Since the letter “I” is a personal pronoun, it must be in capital letter.

    Regards,
    Hwee Leen

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thank you for sharing about yourself and your passion for automobiles. For the sentence "Due to a lack of confidence and strong grammar and vocabulary", There is too many "and" in your sentence, I think you can change one of them to a comma. I look forward to your improvements in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally enjoyed the content in your introduction, and it was also well structured. U can consider making an adjustment in the first sentence in paragraph 4, where your sentence looks a bit convoluted, perhaps you can make it more concise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Yu Han,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and detailed letter. Your discussion is well aligned with the assignment brief, you employ appropriate organization and the language use is fairly good (and great considering that you use Mandarin at home). You've also done well providing supporting information for each specific content area, which allows us readers to gain a real understanding of who you are.

    From the discussion of the childhood experience, for example, it's possible to see that your interest in cars led to a broader interest in mechanics. Still, I would have like to have known more about the work you say you did with automobiles.

    In terms of challenges, it's clear you intend to work on your proficiency and comm (writing?) skills. As writing should be one of your goals, please allow me to point out a few language issues:
    1. overuse of caps
    -- studying Mechanical Engineering
    2. sentence structure
    -- Ever since I was a little boy, I always had a deep fascination and strong passion for anything automobiles, hence that was the driving force which led me towards the path of studying engineering. > (comma splice)
    -- I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in mechanical engineering which was the reason I chose the course because it offered students a chance to work with automobiles, thus it led me to continue to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering. > (Can you separate these thoughts?)

    I'm glad to see thta you are an active listerner and an empathetic and optimistic friend. Those are very important talents to have.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paraphrase of original quote by Sherwyn Morreale, Michael Osborn & Judy Pearson

Critical Reflection